"EXCELLENT PAPER IN NEUROSCIENCE" AWARD 2022
The „EXCELLENT PAPER IN NEUROSCIENCE” AWARD 2022 with the thematic focus on SENSORY DISORDERS is NOW OPEN!”
With the thematic focus on SENSORY DISORDERS
Submission deadline for applications: September 30, 2022
For general information, please contact the ERA-NET NEURON EPNA Joint Call Secretariat
Mr. Maxime Beaudoin
Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQS)
Please download the application form here:
Details for the EPNA AWARD 2022
1. General call description
The ERA-NET NEURON partner countries are issuing the EXCELLENT PAPER IN NEUROSCIENCE AWARD to recognize the remarkable and outstanding scientific publications by early-career researchers in the field of disease-related, translational, neurosciences. Sole First author of original research articles published between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021 and affiliated with the call partner countries listed below are eligible to apply. The deadline for proposal submission is September 30, 2022.
The deadline for proposal submission is September 30, 2022.
The Excellent Paper in Neuroscience Award 2022 focuses on Sensory Disorders. The article should contribute progress on important questions related to sensory disorders of neural origin and their impact on the nervous system, including all the sensory modalities as well as multisensory dysfunctionc diseases.
An award of EUR 3 000 will be granted to the best proposal. The winner will be invited as an “Excellent Paper in Neuroscience” special lecturer during the NEURON Midterm Symposium taking place in Madrid, Spain, on 18th /19th of January 2023. ERA-NET NEURON will cover the award and travel costs related to the lecture.
Call Partner Countries (23): Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom.
2. Aim of the call
Currently ERA-NET NEURON (the Network of European Funding for Neuroscience Research) links 27 national research funding programs and organizations in the field of disease-related neurosciences in Europe, Israel, Turkey, Taiwan, and Canada. The EXCELLENT PAPER IN NEUROSCIENCE AWARD will emphasize the importance of neuroscience and will contribute to integrating the neuroscience research community. The award is designed as a form of support and encouragement for researchers at the early stage of their career.
The application must fulfil the following criteria:
- The sole first Author in the proposed publication. Shared first authorships are not considered for the award.
- The Author must have been affiliated with a call partner country at the time of publication (list of eligible countries above).
- Pre- doctoral and postdoctoral early career researchers until a maximum of three years from a PhD or an equivalent degree at the date of publication.
- Eligible breaks include parental leaves, long-term illness, and national service. Concerning parental leave, national rules apply, or 12 months per child, whichever is the greatest.
- Award period: published between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
- Affiliation of the sole first Author with a call partner country as stated in the publication.
- Article published in open access or available via open access publication repository is encouraged.
- Original research article published in an international peer review journal.
- Topic of the article must be clearly relevant to disease-related, translational, neurosciences and it must fall into one of the following two categories:
- Fundamental research addressing the pathogenesis and etiology of sensory disorders. This may include the development of innovative or shared resources and technologies. The relevance of the research to sensory systems disorders must be clearly described.
- Clinical research to develop novel strategies for prevention, diagnosis, patient stratification, therapy and/or rehabilitation for sensory disorders.
1 Equivalent degrees to the PhD may vary from a different country. A Medical degree alone is not sufficient. In addition, a minimum formation in research (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) is required or proof of an appointment that requires doctoral equivalency (e.g. post-doctoral fellowship, professorship appointment).
The following research areas are excluded from this call:
Neurodegenerative disorders that are addressed by the EU Joint Programme – Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND).
(Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative dementias, Parkinson’s disease (PD) and PD-related disorders, Prion disease, Motor neuron diseases, Huntington’s disease, Spinocerebellar ataxia, Spinal muscular atrophy)
Eligible early-career researchers may submit a proposal for the EXCELLENT PAPER IN NEUROSCIENCE AWARD. The proposal must be submitted electronically using the on-line form available through the NEURON web page. Both pre- and postdoctoral early-career researchers working in ERA-NET NEURON partner countries are encouraged to apply.
Applications are only accepted from the sole first author of an original research article. The on-line application must include the following information bundled in one single PDF format attachment.
- Introduction (minimum font size 11, Arial/Calibri/Times or comparable) including the following:
- Application form (of the first author)
- One-page short biosketch of the author
- One-page summary addressing the significance of the work
- A pitch of not more than 250 characters (including spaces) describing the research focus of the article and the applicant’s role in it.
- PDF of the original research article (published within the eligible award period)
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2022. Applications must be sent by email to the ERA-NET NEURON EPNA joint call secretariat (see details in the application form) by 5:00 PM (UTC-GMT). Incomplete or late applications will be automatically rejected.
ERA-NET NEURON partners will select the proposals upon consultation of high-level scientists in the neuroscience field. The proposals will be evaluated as a whole, based on the following criteria:
- theoretical approach and scientific quality
- novelty and innovativeness of research
- scientific and societal impact for the area.
- Contribution of the ECR to the research discovery
The aforementioned criteria should be reflected through the different sections of the proposal.
Based on the evaluation, the highest-ranked proposal will be awarded the prize.
The ERA-NET NEURON EPNA Joint Call Secretariat together with the national funding agencies will be responsible for the management of the evaluation process.
The Joint Call Secretariat will inform the applicants about the decisions individually early December 2022.
7. Award Presentation
The winner will be invited to give an “Excellent Paper in Neuroscience Award” special lecture during the NEURON Midterm Symposium taking place in Madrid, Spain, on 18th /19th of January 2023. The award and travel costs related to the lecture will be covered by ERA-NET NEURON. The winner may also be invited to present in ERA-NET NEURON events and contribute to the planning of the future support activities of the early-career researchers (ECR) or other activities within the NEURON network.
8. Extended Call Schedule
Announcement of the call:
Deadline for proposal submission:
September 30, 2022
Evaluation of the proposals:
October - November 2022
Decisions and information about the evaluation results:
Early December 2022
Award Presentation Ceremony:
18th/19th of January 2022
9. National Contact points
For further information, follow the links below or contact your national representative:
Table 1: List of all the eligible countries for this call
|Country||Contact person||Contact information|
|Belgium (Flanders)||Dr. Kristen Peeters |
Mr. Toon Monbaliu
Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO)
|Dr. Florence Quist|
Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique – FNRS (F.R.S.-FNRS)
|Canada (Québec)||Mr. Maxime Beaudoin|
Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé (FRQS)
|Croatia||Mr. Mateo Ante Bosnić|
Ministarstvo Znanosti I Obrazovanja (MZO)
|Mr. Argo Soon|
Eesti Teadusagentuur (Estonian Research Council, ETAG)
|Finland||Dr. Aki Salo|
Academy of Finland (AKA)
|France||Dr. Sheyla Mejia Gervacio|
Prof. Dr. Bernard Poulain
Prof. Dr. Etienne Hirsch
National Research Agency (ANR) Health & Biology Department
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
|Germany||Dr. Christina Müller|
German Programme Management Health Research (DLR-PT)
General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT)
National Research, Development and Innovation Office (NKFIH)
|Ireland||Dr. Amanda Daly|
Health Research Board (HRB)
|Israel||Dr. Liron Even-Faitelson|
Chief Scientist Office, Ministry of Health (CSO-MOH)
|Italy||Dr. Gaetano Guglielmi|
Ministero della Salute (IT-MOH)
|Latvia||Dr. Uldis Berkis|
State Education Development Agency (VIAA)
|Norway||Dr. Alexandra Bjørk-Skaflestad|
The Research Council of Norway (RCN)
|Poland||Dr. Marcin Chmielewski|
National Centre for Research and Development (NCBR)
|Portugal||Dr. Alexandre Mauricio|
Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT)
|Romania||Prof. Mihaela Manole|
CAROL DAVILA University of Medicine and Pharmacy/Neuroscience (UEFISCDI)
|Slovakia||Dr. Katarina Bibova|
Slovak Academy of Sciences (SAS)
|Mrs. Esther Chacón|
Mrs. Maria Cristina Nieto Garcia
|Chacon Spanish State Research Agency (AEI)|
National Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
|Switzerland||Dr. Francis Parlange||Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF)|
|Taiwan||Ms. Ching-Mei Tang|
MINISTRY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (MOST)
|Turkey||Dr. Emrah Çevik|
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)
|UK||Dr. Siv Vingill|
Medical Research Council (MRC)